- Name Gailtaler Höhenweg (229)
- Distance de sentier 150 km, 93 milles
- Durée en jours 10 jours
- Début de sentier Marchgraben
- Fin de sentier Villach / Spittal an der Drau
- Classement Traildino SW, Marche fatigante, sentier de montagne
- Classement Traversée de montagne T2, randonnée en montagne
Gailtaler Höhenweg, Marchgraben – Villach (southern variant) / Spittal an der Drau (northern variant), 90 km (150 km including the part in the Lienzer Dolomiten)
This high route runs more or less parallel to the Karnischer Höhenweg, but on the northern side. This is the Gailtaler Alps here, starting in the west with the dramatic Lienzer Dolomites, and running eastward till Villach.
The western part of the Gailtaler Höhenweg stays high up in the mountains, between 2.000 and 2.300 m, and lives up its name. The eastern part drops into a few valleys and is less frequented. One has the choice of either heading north towards Spittal, or south towards Villach.
In terms of technique, the trail is easy. You just need a good body and health.